Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Hooray for 'Self Improvement'!

When two total strangers offer you some constructive criticism on the same personality trait under totally different circumstances, you tend to start to wonder if maybe they are onto something. In good faith I cannot ignore the general consensus, I owe it to myself to take their opinions seriously and consider my options. With the same willingness to we have to accept and relish compliments paid to us, we should also pay particular attention to the areas that may need improvement.

I like learning about myself from other people. Sometimes we can become solitary in our opinion of ourselves because that is the only one we have placed value on for far too long. I've realized this recently, and however traumatic a bashing it was to my ego, I understand now that, low and behold; I am not perfect! If I am being truthful, never have I considered myself perfect in any way, I only misplaced my assumptions as to where my imperfections lie. I know some people would say, why even place such importance on any one opinion of you as to alter who you are? I say it isn't about changing who we are, it is about understanding who we really are as an individual and if new revelations bring about changes then so be it. It's about personal growth, and I crave to understand not only myself but people and the world that surrounds me.

It's unnerving when you start to see yourself in strange new ways, almost forcing you into reconciling your past ghosts with your present self in order to become this new...hybrid of sorts. A hybrid of the self that is supposed to be, better, faster, stronger! But seriously...any new hybrid is only paving the way for new hybrids and when does the evolution stop? And is this pursuit of personal knowledge and understanding really ever lead to any true self that is better than the one that came before it?

I certainly f'n hope so!

No comments: