Saturday, April 4, 2009

Springing back to life!

Spring is coming! I can hear the birds chirping every morning and the snow has pretty much disappeared. I feel the clouds parting overhead and although I'm not quite there yet, a sense of calm is slowly descending upon me. I even spotted a couple of crocus's the other day and even more emerging from the soggy earth. We've got daffodils blooming in a vase on our kitchen counter top, thanks to T! Everything is finally coming into place and although I don't particularly love this season of rain wind and mud, I am in completely in love with what it symbolizes, and its uplifting effect on my psyche.

Every year, I wish away the coldest six months and allow the cruelest of all seasons to manipulate me into a state of almost despair. My brain flicks the switch and I enter into Robot Mode, where everyday becomes a series of mundane, routine tasks with little or no variation. As the sun moves closer to the earth, a sensor begins to go off and my brain slowly starts to click into gear, eventually overriding this robotic state. The re-awakening of the world around me seems to bring about a re-awakening within my own self; when the world is bright, alive and in focus, the clock starts ticking again.

Now that I am fully aware of what is going on around me again, I am quickly understanding there is a lot I want to accomplish before the inevitable shut down process begins. There is a certain person who will not rest until we are touring Greece, she has resolved to resort to chloroform if I am not compliant. I have assured A that I'm with her all the way on this one. Another friend, Ma K, has invited me to be her date for a wedding in Alberta, and between the two concerts, these two trips and various other adventures within my own province, my head is already spinning and heart pounding with excitement.

For however convenient Robot Mode might be for surviving the depression of winter, it also leaves you feeling somewhat lonely, isolated and withdrawn. My plan for next winter: avoid Robot Mode by buying as many lottery tickets as possible, winning the Big One, and move somewhere warm and far far far far away. And if that doesn't work, there's always the wine!

No comments: